8.09.2012

A Sore Spot

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Let's begin with that. As you may or may not know I have a huge place in my heart for animals. It's the way I was raised and the way I will raise my family.

Throughout high school to the present I have saved numerous wild and domestic animals. Sometimes returned them to their owners or to their habitat and sometimes buried them. I have no special training, I'm probably stupid for pulling off the road to try and save half the animals I have but they make a difference to me.

The sore spot I'm getting at is that yesterday, after much rain, I passed a squashed turtle on my road.  I drove past and turned around.  I picked it up and said a prayer and apologized and laid him down to rest in the grass.  It really bummed me out.  Creatures have little to no defense against our guns, our car tires or our machines that destroy their homes. 

I'd like to think of the Earth as a sanctuary that we have the gift of living in. I adore and greatly respect all creatures. I do not see humans as the top of the food chain. Animals are unbelievably loyal and beautifully strong souls too.  I believe that they are mothers, fathers, sons and daughters, just like us. 

"And it's hard to be a human being
And it's harder as anything else"
Modest Mouse lyrics

I know everyone reading as a friend or as my family and I know you all think the same way.  And I thank you for doing so.  Sincerely.

I'm going to make a TURTLE X-ING sign for the front yard. This is the third or fourth time this has happened so maybe people will pay a little more attention or at least know I care.

Here are some others doing unbelievably brave and great things for animals:

Farm Santuary
 
 Sea Shepherd

Steve, Terri, Bindi & Robert Irwin

Heifer International


- Cheers and thanks for checking me out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...