3.14.2011

Trip to the City...Raleigh NC that is!

I can't even begin to relay my excitement about our Raleigh trip, pre and post trip!  I had high hopes for some great spring weather and that we would get to explore a little while we were there.  First order of business was digging up plants all over my Mom's yard!  Thanks Mom!  She gave me some Forsythia, Nandina, Daffodils, and Iris all in this nifty old coal bucket that used to be my granddad's!  She also transplanted some things on the spot so that I could have two old, chipped concrete planters, similar to the ones on the left in this picture.  I had so many things that I wanted to find this weekend and I was almost done before I got started!


Coal bucket and planters with my new plants!


Mike cruising around the Flea Market at the NC State Fairgrounds


Best find of the day!  Here's Mason on his new slide!  Weeee


Mom found this great iron patio bench, I'm thinking I might like to get one too!!


Me and my find, some old burlap coffee sacks. 

I know, you're thinking huh?  But wait, hear me out.  At first I was thinking of using them on my wall in the living room.  I was going to attach them to the wall and put a frame around them, I'm talking 4 x 6' and then hang lots of black and white framed pictures within the large framed area.  But after thinking about it I just wasn't convinced that that's what these were meant for.  You know how you buy something and you just don't know what you're going to do with it and then BAM!  So here's the deal.  See that writing on them?  I really like the large texture of the weave and the graphic quality of the print.  So I'm going to make a pillow with the fronts of the bags.  It will have a burlap front and then I will get some red or orange fabric for the back.  Very rustic.  Then, here's the super exciting part!!!  Remember how I found those hanging wire baskets?  Well I will line those with a piece of burlap and then a piece of plastic to support my plants.  The burlap is much easier to cut into to add more plants!  Voila!  I love it when that happens!  Also notice the metal leaf sculptures on the ground by that woman's foot?  I got a 6 foot one for the yard.  So cool.  Once I get it nestled in I'll post a picture!


This was a neat cottage at the NC Aboretum.  They had a wonderful Winter garden.


Wow, what a photo op!


More garden fun.  Isn't he so cute!!


Last but not least, Hummingbird Cake!  Yum, my fav! 

All in all it was a great weekend and really sparked my creativity.  I'm already ready to go back for more fun and adventure!  The weather was great and it really made me ready for summer time.  Although I didn't get to work in my yard this weekend Mike, who had the day off today, planted my transplants and tilled the soil in my garden.  He also planted the carrots, potatoes, onions and salad mix!!  On a side note, we bought green onions to cook with last week and Mike planted one in that cool herb planter and it took, there are 4" shoots coming up from it!  That was a neat surprise!

The trip back was also pretty exciting.  I was reading through Southern Living Magazine and came across an article about three women who redesign furniture and sell it for a living.  After reading their stories and seeing all the pictures of their cute stuff it really made me want to do something like that.  Mike and I are always finding stuff and thrifting and repurposing things.  Could we eventually turn it into a living?  I've always wanted a shop of my own, whether it be clothing, decor, whatever, just lots of cool stuff!  My dream is to have a shop or store front with a workspace in the back.  I'd love to have some fine antiques and some fine art but my main focus would be on finding older pieces and giving them a new look with the addition of paint, texture and fabric.  So there I said it and I hope it comes true!  We live in a great town now but I don't know if this is the place yet...or the time...

Speaking of cool designs and furniture you've got to check out the article about designer Amy Meier in Better Homes & Gardens Magazine.  I love, love, love the way she decorates!

Oh!  And check out The Old Lucketts Store in VA!  Can we go??

  


2 comments:

  1. awesome!! glad to be a part of ur weekend(s)-haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great trip! Can't wait to see what you end up doing with the coffee bags!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...